What is Berney Arms station?
What book is Berney Arms from?
- Berney Arms was mentioned in Arthur Ransome's popular children's book Coot Club, which is in the Swallows and Amazons series. Dunford, M; Lee, P (2012). The Rough Guide to Norfolk and Suffolk.
When did Berney Arms become part of Norfolk Railway?
- On 30 June 1845 a Bill authorising the amalgamation of the Y&NR with the Norwich & Brandon Railway came into effect and Berney Arms station became a Norfolk Railway asset. The Eastern Counties Railway (ECR) and its rival the Eastern Union Railway (EUR) were both sizing up the NR to acquire and expand their networks.
How did Reedham's Berney Arms get its name?
- The public house was named after the landowner Thomas Trench Berney who owned the Reedham Cement Works centred on the Berney Arms Windmill. The mill was built in 1865 and is the tallest windmill in Norfolk at 21.5 metres (71 ft) tall. It was used to grind cement clinker and was later converted into a drainage mill.
Share this Post: